If you are a university student, chances are you’ll need your thesis/dissertation printed and bound at some point. That’s where we can help. We print and bind theses and dissertations for most UK universities and many abroad, appearing on the preferred supplier lists on many university websites, particularly throughout the UK. Whatever type of degree you’re studying as a student, we can print and bind your thesis or dissertation beautifully and know the specifications required by virtually all UK universities.
So what are the options?
- You can supply your own printouts for the internal pages, or we would be happy to print them for you. If supplying your own printed sheets, we recommend 90gsm – 120gsm paper weight.
- We can print in colour or black and white (40p and 8p per page respectively, correct at time of writing).
- We can print single-sided, or double-sided.
- For soft-bound and hard-bound covers we can add silver or gold foiled lettering, if required, to the spine and front cover. Other colours are also available.
- Soft binding (glue-bound option with semi-rigid covers, generally used for the first submission of your thesis). Covered usually with a library buckram book cloth, lots of colours are available. The cover is trimmed flush with the internal pages.
- Hard binding (with a rigid cover like a hard-back book), again usually covered in a library buckram book cloth, which is available in a wide range of colours. With hard binding, the rigid cover extends further than the internal pages, just like a hard-back book.
- Wiro binding (clear plastic front cover, card back cover, wire spine). Also known as wire bindingand spiral binding and usually available while-you-wait. Wiro binding has a modern look and, as such, has replaced the rather outdated and ugly plastic ‘comb’ binding mechanism that used to be popular a few decades ago.
- Velo binding (clear plastic front cover, card back cover with a secure plastic strip mechanism that traps the punched pages at the spine). Usually available while-you-wait.
- Perfect binding. This is the same binding style as a paperback book i.e. thermal glue is used to bind the internal pages (or sewn ‘sections’ of multiple pages) into a card cover ‘wrap’ which is trimmed flush with the internal pages.
- Thermal binding is similar to perfect binding but has a clear plastic front cover and a card back cover as standard. It is also available ‘on demand’ (while you wait). Thermal binding is also known as Glue binding, Fastback binding or Thermo binding.
When ordering you can also specify optional extras such as:
- a plastic pocket to hold your supplied CD or DVD;
- production (‘burning’) of a CD, which also comes with a pocket;
- a plastic corner pocket to hold internal loose inserts;
- a cloth pocket to hold internal loose inserts;
- an integral register ribbon (coloured ribbon which act like a bookmark).
We offer a range of turnaround times for your printing and binding:
- 4 hour service (processed between 9am and 4pm, subject to availability and workload)
- Same day service (in by 10.30am, ready for collection or dispatch by 3.30pm, subject to availability and workload)
- 2 working day service on week days (you must supply before 10.30am for us to have it ready the following working day by 3.30pm).
- 3 working day service on week days (similar to the above but takes one additional working day).
- Order online, including upload of your thesis as an Acrobat PDF file. Order here: www.document-centre.co.uk/quote/
- Order in person at the London shop. We are The Document Centre and are based at 92 Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark, London SE1 0EX. A map is available here.
Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm. Call for occasional weekend opening hours/times (020 7928 9738). Of course, you can order online 24/7, every day of the year.
- PayPal (allowing you to pay with your choice of a PayPal account, a credit card or debit card – most are accepted)
- Pay on collection from the shop.
We offer a whole range of supply/delivery options including:
- Collection at our London shop* in SE1;
- Free delivery to some London institutions (check the ‘Delivery’ section of the online order form for applicable colleges and universities);
- 1-3 working day delivery via UPS;
- Next day UK delivery via UPS (12.30pm and 5.30pm options);
- International delivery options;
- Multiple delivery address option when ordering multiple copies.
You can also get an online quotation using the above link.
Alternatively contact us here or call 020 7928 9738 and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you.
* The Document Centre are at 92 Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark, London SE1 0EX.